Thursday, May 21, 2015

Working out Our Faith Muscle

“Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling” (Philippians 2:12).

Let’s get this on the table right out of the chute. I do NOT like to work out! There, I’ve said it (Okay, really I typed it but you get what I’m saying, uh, typing). I would much rather flop on the couch and binge watch a show on Netflix than exercise. Sure I have arms with biceps and legs with quads. But without working out, I don’t get the most out of my body. I waste my health as my waist creeps over my belt. Paul tells his friends back in Philippi to keep exercising the incredible salvation God has given them in Jesus. Like Hans and Franz, he’s here to pump…you up! Because we need to continually work out our faith muscle.

Before Paul gives us instructions as our personal spiritual trainer, he reminds his readers just why they’re headed to the gym for Jesus. “Therefore, my beloved” (v12). As  Pete Briscoe likes to say, “Every time we see ‘therefore,’ we need ask what is it there for?” So glad you asked, Pete. The apostle is pointing back to the amazing rescue mission of our Savior. He doesn’t want us to forget the truth we’ve just read in Philippians 2:6-11. We work out in light of the truth of all that Jesus has done for you and me. We’re motivated because of His service, His humility, His humanity, His sacrifice, His resurrection, His ascension, and His exaltation. 

Paul is head over heels about his friends back in Philippi. He calls them “my beloved” (v12). There’s no doubt he’ll ever forget his first visit to the Macedonian port city. It’s the first time the message of Jesus made it to Europe. And this was the craziest church planting effort you’ve ever seen. Dr. Luke dedicates nearly an entire chapter to the Philippian startup in Acts 16:12-40. It involves a fashionista, demon-possession, human trafficking, riots, and a jailbreak led by an angel. Yeah, you really need to read your Bible. There’s some wild stuff in there. But after all they went through together, Paul and his Philippian friends have a deep love for one another. Do you have someone that you were once close to but the circumstances of life and work don’t allow you to see each other much anymore? Paul and Philippians are feeling you.

One reason the apostle loves these folks so much is because of how they love Jesus. They loved and obeyed their Savior when he was in town. And they continue to grow in their love and obedience long after he left. “As you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence” (v12). The Philippian followers Jesus have a rep for their obedience to Jesus. Paul saw that first hand during those crazy days of his first visit. There’s no doubt in his mind that they never stopped after he hit the road. How about me? Am I only obedient to God’s Word when my mentor’s around? Do I need certain people around me in order to do what Jesus commands? Do I take the weekend off from attending worship when the lead pastor is not preaching? I readily admit there are certain people God has placed in my life who truly encourage me live with a passion for Christ. But my faith isn’t dependent on anyone EXCEPT Jesus. I only have one Savior. Let me live a life of obedience to my Lord no matter who’s around or who’s in town.

Just because he’s behind bars in a Roman prison, Paul never stops being the personal spiritual trainer to the Philippian church. He commands them to “work out your own salvation” (v12). A closer look at the grammar tells us this is no suggestion or recommendation. This is a command. The verb here is also in the present tense. That tells us this is not just a one-and-done workout. We must work out and keep on working out our salvation. What can you and I do on a consistent basis do get in our Gospel reps and work up a Gospel sweat? You probably guessed what some of them are. Read your Bible. Pray. Get involved in the lives of other believers. Tell others about Jesus. But it’s SO much more than regularly checking a few items off the religious to-do list. God continues to stretch our trust in Christ. He continues to do whatever it takes to grow our faith muscle. And that comes through obedience.  

As a personal spiritual trainer, Paul tells us to “work out” our faith. He uses the Greek verb katergazomai, which means to accomplish, achieve, do something with results, perform successfully, produce, or bring about an outcome. It’s all about getting results. The man from Tarsus reminds the Corinthians how “the signs of a true apostle were performed (Gr. katergazomai) among you with utmost patience” (2Cor 12:12). This isn’t about looking good in the gym. You’re not getting yoked so you look cool to everyone else. It’s not about flash and trash. It’s not about image. My goal isn’t to look like Arnold, Channing Tatum, or Vin Diesel. We exercise in order to grow to look more like Jesus. According to Mike Lee, we do that by pumping up our faith muscle. Some people have days to work on their legs, another for their upper body, and another for their core. Nothing wrong with that. But as followers of Jesus we must continually work out our salvation with day-by-day obedience which stretches and grows our faith. Jesus kid brother writes, “For you know that the testing of your faith produces (Gr. katergazomai) steadfastness” (James 1:3). In other words, when our faith muscle gets swole we’re able to better take on what life throws our way. 

Let’s be VERY clear what Paul is NOT telling us. This is NOT salvation by works! He’s NOT saying that I must save myself through a dedicated conditioning plan that focuses on a total body and soul workout. I can’t exercise enough to safe myself. There aren’t enough ‘roids to do the trick. That’s because salvation is God’s amazingly gracious gift to us which we did nothing to earn or deserve (Eph 2:8-9). We have absolutely no reason to brag or pose. We trust in what Jesus did for us that we could never dream of doing on our own. He lived the perfect life that I fail to live. He died the death for my sin that I should have died. He rose to a spectacular new life that I don’t deserve. Jesus’ crew wanted to know exactly what sort of work they needed to do in order to get God’s stamp of approval. “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent” (Jn 6:29). Trust in what Christ has already done on my behalf. I don’t work FOR my salvation. What I need to do is work OUT my salvation.

Once Christ comes to my rescue, I don’t just sit there. Think of it this way. One day my neighbor invited me to come over and see her new computer. When I walked in the door, she pointed to a pile of boxes in the corner of the room. “There’s my computer!” Did she have a new computer? Absolutely. Was it doing her any good? Absolutely not. We work out our salvation by opening it up and pursuing what God has for us through active obedience. This is no workout for wussies. Following Jesus can be hard. But you’ve heard the expression “no pain, no gain.” First of all, He gives us the strength to obey as the Holy Spirit indwells each believer (1Cor 3:16). Through willing submission and obedience to the Lord, we get the most out of this overflowing, overwhelming, abundant life (Jn 10:10). Working out our salvation means leaning into and living out all  we have in Christ. Paul tells us what that looks like in a letter to the Colossians. God raised us with Jesus and we’re “seated at the right hand of God” (Col 3:1). Tell me THAT doesn’t stretch your faith muscle! It almost makes me pull a spiritual hammy just thinking about it!!

Our personal spiritual trainer gives us some important instructions for working out our salvation. If we don’t have “fear and trembling” (v12) we’re doing it wrong. Have you ever had someone explain and demonstrate the proper technique of an exercise to you? Keep a flat back doing this. Your hands need to go here when doing that. Well, that’s what Paul does here. Two of the key indicators of proper technique in exercising our faith muscle is “fear and trembling” (v12). He’s talking about a proper view of the One who came to our rescue. This is worship and awe of God. We keep in mind exactly who He is. He is God and I’m not. No matter how jacked we get our faith muscle, He’s still Almighty God. Never forget that. Ever.

What a GREAT reminder that Jesus has SO much more for me after He comes to my rescue than to kick back like a couch potato for Christ. Once He saves me, it’s time to “work out my salvation” (v12). It’s time to do what He tells me to do in order to fully enjoy the life He has for me. Following Jesus won’t be all rainbows and unicorns. No pain. No gain. But it’s worth every stinkin’ bit of effort. It’s time to get out of the La-Z-Boy and start working my faith muscle.

No comments:

Post a Comment