Monday, October 7, 2013

Who's the Boss?

Bondservants, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free (Eph 4:5-8).

Who’s the boss?  Who do you work for?  Paul wants us to realize that while I might be an employee with a supervisor, my true boss is Christ.  I report directly to Jesus.  The apostle has just finished instructing us on what relationships in the home between wives, husbands and kids look like when we’re walking in love and submitting to one another (Eph 5:21-6:4).  At this point, he moves from the family to the workplace.  “Bondservants, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free” (v5-8).  His bottom line: work hard because you ultimately work for Jesus.  Who’s the boss?  He’s the Boss!

My Savior is my Supervisor.

Let’s be clear about something right out of the chute.  Paul is NOT endorsing slavery.  Instead, he’s recognizing that Jesus is an incredible impact on an existing social institution.  In three separate letters written at the same time, the apostle has important instructions for slaves who are coming to faith in Christ.  As a matter of fact, he writes to his buddy Philemon about how to receive and forgive his runaway servant Onesimus.  Paul also writes to the larger Colossian church that Phil and his family belong to with teaching specifically for slaves (Col 3:22-25).  And then we read his directive to the folks in Ephesus we see in these verses.  Again, Paul isn’t putting his stamp of approval on slavery.  He knows that when Jesus rolls up His sleeves and changes hearts, He will use this awful institution as an important tool for His glory and the good of His followers (Rom 8:28; Gen 50:20).

In the first century, “bondservants” (v5) make up a significant portion of the the Roman empire.  Historians estimate that 10-15% of the population were slaves.  Slavery in the empire isn’t based on race or ethnicity.  In most situations, economics are behind it.  People are in debt and this was a way to work it off.  Some servants work their butts off doing excruciating manual labor.  Others work in the home.  And still other slaves are actually highly skilled and have white collar jobs, such as teachers, accountants and even physicians.  There’s a pretty good chance that Paul’s buddy Dr. Luke, the author of the third Gospel and the book of Acts, is a former slave.

Since slavery isn’t a part of American culture in the 21st century, what do we do with this command?  The best application is to see it through the lens of the working man.  Most of us have “earthly masters” (v4).  Most of us are employees.  Most of us work for someone else.  Most of us have a boss.  Let’s swap out the word “bondservants” and drop in “employees.”  One thing that doesn’t change 2,000 years later is our ultimate Supervisor.  We all truly work for Christ.

My Savior is my Supervisor.

Paul tells the worker to “obey your earthly masters” (v5).  He uses the Greek verb hupakouo.  This word literally means to listen under.  Think of being under someone’s authority.  It’s being at someone’s beck and call.  It’s the same term the apostle uses a couple of verses back when telling kids to do what their parents tell them.  Same for the worker and the boss.  When they call, you answer.  When they say “jump,” you say “how high?”  One scholar says it’s like being ready to answer the door when the bell rings.  It’s being ready and willing to obey what you’re told to do.  When they call, there’s no eye rolling.  There’s no heavy sigh.  When the boss gives you your assignment, it’s not an inconvenience.  It’s your JOB!!  We’re to respond to our supervisor “with fear and trembling” (v5).  This doesn’t mean employees are to literally shake in their shoes in terror when the boss calls.  This is respect.  This is honor.  God makes it VERY clear that every last one of us is under authority in one way or the other (Rom 13:1-7).  We’re also to go to work “with a sincere heart” (v5).  Paul’s describing a singleness of purpose.  There’s no hidden agenda on the part of the employee.  Sure, I want my paycheck every two weeks.  No question about that.  But I’m to share my boss’ agenda and vision.  As long as my supervisor isn’t asking me to do something that causes me to break the law or sin against God, we’re to be on the very same page.

I’m not just to work hard when folks are watching either.  Don’t just bust your butt “by way of eye-service, as people-pleasers” (v6).  When the cat’s away, the mouse shouldn’t act like a rat.  Christ followers must be self-starters in the workplace.  Get to work.  Stay focused.  Here’s the hard truth.  To NOT work when you’re on the clock is stealing.  You and I are being paid to use our skills and talents on someone else’ dime.  Stop jacking around when the boss isn’t around.  

And the key reason we bear down is because of Whom we’re really working for.  Jesus.  Not once but four times in these verses, Paul reminds me that my Savior is my Supervisor.  You obey your boss “as you would Christ” (v5).  We’re not just employees of a particular company but “servants of Christ” (v6).  We serve on mission in the workplace “doing the will of God from the heart” (v6).  We work hard with a great attitude “as to the Lord and not to man” (v7).  Who’s the boss?  He’s the Boss!  Ultimately, my Savior is my Supervisor.  I serve gladly Him out of the overwhelming gratitude that He’s drenched me in His overwhelming grace (Eph 1:3-14).  This isn’t about cranking out a good product at work because I have a good earthly boss.  This is letting my light shine on the job for the One who did for me what I could never do for myself.  My work DOES matter to God!  That’s because of Whom I really work for when it’s all said and done.  

My Savior is my Supervisor.

I would love to hear what YOU think?  Drop a comment below and we'll chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment