Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Election Analysis



“Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people” (v13-15).


One hundred percent of the precincts are in. States have been called. A winner has been called. There are just as many cheers as there are tears. For the next few days, political pundits try to make sense of what just happened.

But when it comes to real election analysis, forget the major networks. Don’t grab the remote and go to CNN or Fox. The best breakdown of what went down at the ballot box actually comes from a former commercial fisherman from the boondocks of Galilee 2,000 years ago.

Peter tells us to simply take a deep breath, remember Who is really in charge, and be good citizens. “Be subject for the Lord’s sake to every human institution, whether it ice to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people” (v13-15).

I can just hear Pete’s 21st Century critics now. Whoa, big fella! Back up the truck!! You clearly don’t have a handle on what’s at stake here. National security! Immigration! The economy! The Supreme Court! I appreciate the schmaltzy religious sentiment, but this will NEVER work in the real world!! EVER!!!

We all need just cool our jets and check out the historical context of just when, where, and to whom our man Pete is writing. Set the Flux Capacitor for AD 64. The location is northern half of what we know today as Turkey. The followers of Jesus were the objects of tremendous political and social prejudice and persecution. One of the reasons they are living in the areas of Pontus, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia is because they are religious refugees. 

You see this is about this same time that Nero would point his fiddling finger at innocent Christ followers for starting the huge fire that destroyed much of Rome. Yet both Pete and his buddy Paul tell their readers to be good citizens despite the ruthlessness of the Roman Empire.

A LOT of fellow believers are freaking out about various elected officials, both local and national. I can’t quite squint hard enough to see that our current political leaders are worse than dudes like Nero, Herod, and Pilate. Does our nation have its issues? You betcha. But how much better off would we be if Jesus’ followers spent more time being good citizens, loving our neighbors, and less time whining about the government. That includes me.

First and foremost, Pete tells us, “Be subject for the Lord’s sake” (v13). He gives us a command using the Greek word ‘υποτασσω (hupotasso). The term literally means to put one thing under another or arrange below. In this case, it means to willingly obey, be under authority, or put yourself into an attitude of submission.

The dude Jesus called Rocky is commanding us to submit. Uh oh. It’s the “S” word. And no, Sean Connery, I don’t mean “sword.” Pete drops this word six more times in this little letter. Workers must “be subject (Gr.‘υποτασσω/hupotasso) to your masters with all respect” (1Pet 2:18). That’s how he describes how wives are to respect their husbands (1Pet 3:1, 5). The apostle reminds us that even every single being is “in submission to (Gr.‘υποτασσω/hupotasso)” the resurrected Jesus (1Pet 3:22 NIV). The Rock makes sure the young bucks know their role and are “subject to (Gr.‘υποτασσω/hupotasso) the elders” (1Pet 5:5).

So I’m to “be subject” and willingly submit. Really? There’s gotta be a caveat. There must be a loophole. Surely Pete’s ONLY talking about leaders worthy of following. Right? RIGHT?!? Nope. We don’t submit because of the goodness of our leader but the Goodness of our Savior. We’re to be good citizens “for the Lord’s sake” (v13). In other words, my submission is actually an act of worship to Jesus.

As long as what I’m ordered to do does not cause me to sin, I’m to do what I’m told. This is all about submission to authority. When I obey anyone in authority over me with a willing heart, I’m expressing my love and gratitude to the One who saved me. This is the same principle Paul writes to the folks in Ephesus (Eph 5:22-6:9). It’s the same thing Paul teaches the Colossians (Col 3:17-4:1).

In many ways, the big idea is summed up in one simple phrase: “do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus” (Col 3:17). Everything is to be done as an expression of worship and thanks to my Savior.  While I may be a citizen of heaven (Phil 3:20), God has placed me here in this time and place to shine His light and spread His salt.  One VERY important way of doing that is through my willing submission to authority the Lord has over me.

This speaks to the tension and relationship between Jesus as my Lord and my Savior.  Because He has rescued me, I obey Him as an act of gratitude. You may think you’ve simply bought the eternal fire insurance policy. But I’ve got news for you. It doesn’t really work like that. He’s our Savior AND Lord. When I place my trust in Who He is and what He has done, I also place my trust in the incredible goodness of His leadership. There’s no one more trustworthy and qualified than Christ. After all, He is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords (1Tim 6:15; Rev 17:14; 19:16). If I trust Him to save me, I can trust Him to lead me.

Just to make sure we’re paying attention, Peter points out that believers are to be good followers “to every human institution whether it be to the emperor as supreme or the to the governors as sent by him” (v13-14). Not most. Not some. Not just the Fed. Not just the state. Not just your local officials. Every. Human. Institution. Remember, Pete’s writing in the historical context of that wing nut Nero and his brutal Roman Empire.

Republican. Democrat. Libertarian. Conservative. Liberal. It just doesn’t matter. Whether your candidate won or lost, it would appear “every human institution” (v13) covers whoever takes the oath of office. What in the wide world of sports would Pete say all this? He gets to the bottom line when he writes “for this is the will of God” (v15). Take a deep breath. We’re good here. God’s got this. Jesus approves this message.

How many of us are always searching for God’s will for our lives? What does He want me to do? Well, His will here seems crystal clear. God calls me to be a good citizen no matter who’s in office. Politics don’t matter. They don’t even have to be good governors.  What does matter is that I’m to be a good citizen.

Ultimately, He calls me to be a good follower of whoever is in authority. Boss. Department head. Vice president. President and CEO. Campus pastor. Senior pastor.  That’s because we’re all under authority. We’re under THE Authority. Jesus. King of Kings. Lord of Lords. 

This doesn’t mean that I’m to sin if my ruling authority commands it.  That’s where we step off. Pete knows all about that. He and the apostles made it clear to the religious police that’s where they draw the line. “We must obey God rather than men” (Acts 5:29). In the meantime, one important way for me to express my worship to Jesus is by being a good citizen.  


What to do now? Step one: Turn off the TV. Step two: Pray for your leaders (2Tim 2:1-3). Yup. All of them. Step three: Read Psalm 146. (Hint: Focus on verses 3 and 4. “Put not your trust in princes, in a son of man, in whom there is no salvation. When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day his plans perish.”) Step four: Love God by loving your neighbor (Mt 22:37).

No comments:

Post a Comment