Monday, October 26, 2020

Seeking the Spotlight


What Do You Want to Be When You Grow up?

Remember when you were a kid and people would ask you what you wanted to be when you grow up? For me the answer wasn’t a baseball player, an astronaut, or a firefighter.


I wanted to be famous. It didn’t matter what I would do. I just wanted fame. I wanted people to recognize me. I dreamed of the day I would walk down the street and folks would ask me for my autograph.


I loved me some me. And I wanted everybody else to love me too!


Famous for Being Famous


Yeah, I know. Pretty shallow stuff. But it’s true. One hundred percent true. Decades before the Kardashians and everybody who’s famous for just being famous, I had career goal of being a celebrity.


That’s exactly why Jesus’ teaching here in Mark 12:38-40 is like a dagger piercing my still bloated ego. Christ calls out the religious celebrities for their love of the spotlight. First, watch them. Second, watch out for them.


Not Just Any Tuesday


Before we zoom in on the details of the Lord’s dialogue, let’s pull the camera back for context. It’s Tuesday. But not just any Tuesday. This is Tuesday of the last week before His betrayal and brutal murder. 


The place is Jerusalem. Specifically, the temple courts. That’s where Jesus did a little housecleaning by driving out the various vendors who were making a quick buck on worshipers through a nasty system of exchanging currency and officially licensed sacrificial offerings. And you thought prices were bad at the airport!   


A Series of Confrontations


The temple courts are also where Christ faced a series of confrontations with all sorts of religious big shots (Mk 11:20-12:36). The chief priests. The religious teachers. The senior Jewish leaders. The Pharisees. The Herodians. The Sadducees. 


He took them all down. Every. Single. One. And the huge crowd in town for Passover went bonkers (Mk 11:37)! That will all change on Friday, but that’s a story for another day.


Back to Teaching


It’s at this point that Jesus gets back to teaching, you know, what He was doing before He was so rudely interrupted. He does so by using one of the groups who has just tried to ambush Him as an example of what NOT to do.


The Son of God says, “Beware of these teachers of religious law! For they like to parade around in flowing robes and receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces” (v38).


Teaching the Teachers a Lesson


Ah, the teachers of religious law. You may remember them from just getting their collective butts whipped after poking their fingers in the chest of Jesus. He ends up teaching the teachers a lesson they will never forget.


So just who are these guys? The phrase “teachers of religious law” we see here is the Greek noun γραμματευς/grammateus. It’s where we get our word “grammar.”


Word Nerds


It generally describes anybody who deals with the written word. A clerk. A writer. A scholar. A word nerd. In Acts, Dr. Luke drops this term when talking about a local government bureaucrat (Acts 19:35).


But more often that not, it’s talking about a recognized expert in Jewish law. Think of a seminary grad or a theologian. You know, those folks who are your lifeline when you can’t figure out some confusing passage in Scripture.


Illiterate Idiots


Interestingly, some of these very same Hebrew honchos throw Peter and John under the bus after Jesus’ resurrection by calling them “ordinary men with no training in the Scriptures” (Acts 4:13). 


Most translations go easy on their trash talk and call them “unschooled” (NIV) or “uneducated” (NASB). But the original language here literally says they are “illiterate” (Gr. αγραμματος/agrammatos) “idiots” (Gr. ιδιωτης/idiotes).


I’m NOT saying education is a bad thing. But considering what Jesus is going to say about the cockiness of these religious hot shots, let's be careful not to think we’ve got it all going on just because we’ve got a couple of degrees on the wall.


On High Alert


Now that we know who the Lord is talking about, let’s taking a closer look at what He says about them. Spoiler alert. It’s not good.


He tells the big crowd to “beware” of these goobers. The original language uses a verb (Gr. βλεπω/blepo) which means to look at carefully, take notice and consider, or be on high alert while watching out for danger.


Danger, Will Robinson!


Picture one of those caution signs telling warning us of a slippery floor, an angry dog, or even a biohazard. When you’re around these religion experts, be VERY careful. Watch them VERY closely. 


It’s a lot like that famous warning from the robot on “Lost in Space”…Danger, Will Robinson


Bad Examples


So what makes these “teachers of religious law” such a threat? Jesus says one big reason is the bad example they set. Just watch how they “like to parade around in flowing robes and receive greetings as they walk in the marketplaces” (v38).


Don’t miss just how much they get off on everyone’s attention. Would you allow me to nerd out in Greek one more time? Ah, you’re the best!


The One in the Mirror


Check out the word the NLT translates here as “like” (Gr. θελω/thelo). It means to truly enjoy or take so much pleasure in something that you’ve just gotta make it happen.


They wake up in the morning thinking about it. They plan their whole day around it. They’re so focused on the one in the mirror that helping others never crosses their mind. 


These guys absolutely love getting all gussied up just to be seen in public. I mean, they are obsessed with it. Can’t you just see them standing in their walk-in closet carefully choosing their outfit. Hmm, I wore that robe yesterday. And that one is so 25 AD.


Hoping to Get Noticed


The language here makes it clear that these teachers don’t simply do this occasionally. No, they are preoccupied with it. And when they put on their best, they make sure they’re seen.


They constantly “parade around” (v38). They don’t just go to the busiest places in town which have the most people. They walk up and down, back and forth. Hoping to get noticed, looking for recognition. Nobody loves a parade like these teachers love their parade.


The Red Carpet


These dudes are constantly walking the red carpet. Their life is an extended photo op. Can’t you just see some First Century cable show dedicated to which theologian wore it best?


It seems to me that long before there was ever an internet or social media, these religious teachers were the original influencers. Let’s be blunt. When someone calls themselves an influencer, it’s usually a desperate plea for attention and fame.


The Best Seats in the House


Jesus tells the crowd at the temple how these Jewish celebrities are constantly angling for the best seats in the house. “And how they love the seats of honor in the synagogues and the head table at banquets” (v39).


One commentator points out that there was a bench at the very front of every synagogue that faced the rest of the people. These are the seats they want. And it’s not so they have a good view. It’s so others will have a good view of them.


Looking for the Limelight


Think about that for just a second. When folks gather to worship God, these religious scholars are looking for the limelight. Here’s a pro tip: God refuses to share the stage with anyone or anything else.


Mind if I ask you a question? Why do you sit where you sit when you go to church? Is it to be seen? Is it so that others will know what a super saint you are? No, I didn’t think so. Where would I get such a ridiculous idea?


These scribes also seek to score the best tables at the restaurant. Anytime there’s an event, it’s important for their ego to sit up front. The closer to the speaker the better. 


A Truth Bomb 


What Jesus says here is a truth bomb that busts the bunker of my ego. For most of my life, I wanted to be famous. I wanted to be noticed. I wanted the attention. 


I’m fairly confident that I would have been a charter member of the religion scholars club if I lived during the days of Christ. Shiny new suit? Check. High traffic location? Check. Luxury box at church? Check. Best table at the trendy restaurant? Check.


Fear of Man


It hurts to type these words. But it’s the truth. I struggle with a little something-something called Fear of Man. The quick explanation is that I’m WAY more concerned about what others think of me than what God does.


The Holy Spirit has done some serious heavy lifting in my life over the past few years when it comes to this. I’m far from finished but grateful for what He’s done.


The Audience of One


A guy named Paul wrote something that the Lord has used to help turn things around. “I’m not trying to win the approval of people, but of God. If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ’s servant” (Gal 1:10).


Pleasing people versus pleasing God. What’s it gonna be? It’s a choice I’m faced with just about every single moment my eyes are open. For me, the audience for which I perform is the Audience of One.


An Overwhelming Relief


What an overwhelming relief I found when I stopped trying to impress everyone and get the world to like me. I could stop being something I wasn’t. I could simply be the real me. The One who made made me not only knew me but loved me.


I didn’t need to dress to impress God. I didn’t need to go anywhere special for Him to see me. It didn’t matter where I sat in church or whether I sat at the kid’s table at the party.


Misdirection


Meanwhile, back in the temple courts, Jesus tells the big crowd what these religious teachers are REALLY up to while putting on a show. They may project a slick image but there’s something else altogether different going on.


These experts want you to look over here at their impressive activities. That will distract you from what’s really going on. Magicians call it misdirection. It’s that little trick of calling our attention over here so they can pull off the sleight of hand over there.


Stealing from Widows


So what exactly are they trying to do? I’ll let the Lord tell you. “Yet they shamelessly cheat widows out of their property” (v40).


The scribes use their leverage to put the squeeze on those who can’t protect themselves. In First Century culture, widows were an easy mark. They had few rights and very little protection. 


Looking out for the Most Vulnerable


Apparently their strategy for building their real estate portfolio by running roughshod and basically stealing property from single women. No late night cable infomercials on how to flip houses for these guys. All they had to do was hoodwink a woman who’s lost her husband. 


A couple of thousand years later, has much really changed? Grifters and con artists are still target the elderly and single moms as their prey. As the followers of Jesus, we need to look out for those who are the most vulnerable.


Smokescreens and Flowery Prayers


Christ points out one of the favorite tactics used by the religion teachers. At the same time they’re cheating the powerless, they “pretend to be pious by making long prayers in public” (v40).


They throw up smokescreens with flowery prayers when the crowds are around. Jesus sure seems to indicate there’s not a whole lot of praying going on when they’re alone. As the divine Son of God, He should know who’s really talking to God and who’s not.


Flying Solo in Prayer


Here’s another moment when the Lord’s words hit a little too close to home for me. Don’t get me wrong, going to God in prayer with other followers of Jesus is an awesome experience.

But what’s my prayer life look like when I’m flying solo? Do I pray as passionately and frequently when I’m alone as I do when I’m around others? Asking for a friend.


Getting What They Deserve


The radical Rabbi/Carpenter wants us to know that these religious phonies won’t get away with it. “Because of this, they will be more severely punished” (v40).


He knows they will get what’s coming to them. Maybe not on this side of eternity but God ensures they will get what they deserve. 


How can Jesus be so sure? Because He’s the One who will do it! “For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body” (2Cor 5:10).


Making God Famous


Which brings me back to the whole “what do you want to be when you grow up” thing we started with. Like a I said before, what I wanted was to be famous. What I wanted was to be liked. What I wanted was to be the center of the attention.


Little did I realize at that time that my career goal was to be a religious legal eagle. A phony who was only concerned with my image but had no real substance when you peeked behind the curtain. As they say in Texas, “All hat and no cattle.”


While I’m far from perfect, I’m so incredibly grateful that Jesus has saved me from that. That He saved me from MYSELF! My life is so much so more fulfilling now that my goal is to make God famous.


©2020

Jay Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment