Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A Walk Talks

“They profess to know God, but they deny Him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work” (v16).

“A talk talks and a walk talks, but a walk talks louder than your talk talks.” Sounds like something you’d find in a book by Dr. Seuss, doesn’t it? This was something my old buddy Ross Turner used to say on a regular basis. His point is that we might say we’re followers of Jesus but our actions will give the real answer. It’s true. Actions do speak louder than words. Here in his letter to Titus, Paul tells his man on the island of Crete not to pay any attention to what the false teachers say. Listen to their actions. Their walk talks louder than their talk talks.

These false teachers are just one of three points on Titus’ to-do list. The Gospel of Jesus has washed across this Mediterranean island like a supernatural tsunami. Their are new believers everywhere. The Big T is to handpick leaders for all of the local churches (Titus 1:5). He’s to establish a sustainable system of discipleship for folks who place their trust in Christ (Titus 12:1-10). But a huge part of his assignment is to shut up and shut down a posse of spiritual con artists who are doing all sorts of damage to these baby believers (Titus 1:10-11). 

Paul gives Titus a description of these snake oil salesmen. As members of the “circumcision party” (Titus 1:10), they’re Jews who think Gentiles have to convert to Judaism before they can follow Jesus. They’re ripping apart families and out to make a fast buck (Titus 1:11). They’re liars, bullies, and lazy slobs (Titus 1:12). They’re distracting folks from the big story of God’s amazing rescue with all sorts of religious sounding mumbo jumbo (Titus 1:14) and stupid rules about what to eat (Titus 1:15). Just in case, Titus has any doubts about these false teachers, Paul gives him one more important description. “They profess to know God, but they deny Him by their works” (v16). Don’t listen to what they’re saying. Watch what they’re doing.

The apostle goes on to say that these false teachers are “detestable, disobedient, unfit for every good work” (v16). A closer look at the original language kinda turns my stomach. First of all, they’re disgusting, vile, and foul. They stink like a dumpster on a hot August day. Second, they’re rebels and refuse to listen to anyone in authority. They shake their fists at anybody who tries to tell them what to do. Finally, they’ve failed the test and are disqualified. They’re repeated rule-breakers. Wretched, rebellious rejects. Or as the Message reads, “They’re real creeps, disobedient good-for-nothings” (v16 The Message). Yeah, their walk talks alright. 

I have to say that this gets more than a little personal for me. For years, I told people that I believed in God and was a follower of Jesus. There was just one itty bitty problem. My actions continually threw my words under the bus. Craig Groeschel confesses to a similar sin. He says that he lived a significant portion of his life as a practical atheist. He said he was a Christian but you would never know it by his actions. I’m not sure if it was something I heard, something I read, or someone I met. But one day, God jumped all over me showed me that I was living a lie. I suddenly realized that a person lives what he actually believes. And my life shouted to the world that I didn’t believe in Jesus. My walk talked VERY loudly. It actually drowned out my talk. My heart sank and I confessed my disobedience and sin to my Savior. From that point on, I did everything I could to live a life that was an expression of my faith in Jesus. 

I’m constantly reminded of Ross’ words. Your talk talks and your walk talks. But your walk talks louder than your talk talks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment