Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Prevent Defense


Give no opportunity to the devil (Eph 4:27).

I hate the so-called “prevent defense.”  If you’re not a football fan, that’s when one team protects its lead by focusing all its attention on keeping the opponent out of the end zone.  Sounds good, doesn’t it?  Seems like a keen strategy, right?  Wrong.  This strategy allows the opposition to make big gains while the defense is backpedaling to defend the end zone.  Big Mo changes jerseys.  The team that once had no momentum has all of it.  Too many times, the only thing the “prevent defense” does is prevent you from winning the game!  Here, Paul tells us to “give no opportunity to the devil” (v27).  Don’t get soft.  Don’t give him an inch.  Don’t give him a yard.  Don’t give him a first down.  Don’t go to the “prevent defense.”

The point of this verse goes hand-in-hand with what the apostle just wrote in the previous verse.  “Be angry and do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger” (Eph 4:26).  When I blow my stack (even over things that anger God) and stay angry, I’m opening the front door for that demonic man-eating lion (1Pet 5:8).  I don’t know about you, but I tend to not let critters like lions, tigers and bears in my house.  But that’s what happens when I get angry and stay angry.  Anger isn’t a sin.  Staying angry and stoking the fires is VERY dangerous.  Consider it a signal fire for the enemy.  Put out that fire before the sun goes down.

Paul makes it clear that the devil doesn’t bust my front door down in some sort of supernatural home invasion.  No, quite the opposite.  I let him in!  What a doofus!  When he writes “give no opportunity,” the apostle uses the Greek verb didomi.  It means to grant, allow, permit, supply, furnish, yield, entrust or give away.  When I stoke the fires of anger, I’m inviting the devil to come on in.  I might as well give him my La-Z-Boy and a cold glass of sweet tea.  He doesn’t break in.  I allow him in.  All because of my hot head. 

Like a defensive coordinator telling his D to stay aggressive, the man from Tarsus tells us to not give Lucifer an inch, much less a first down.  Paul uses the word topos, which means place, location, region, spot or territory.  That’s where the translators of the NIV come up with the idea of a satanic “foothold.”  Phillips sees a military picture here of a beachhead.  If an invading enemy is able to wedge out a small place of operation on the beach, they are much harder to defeat.  The Nazis found that out the hard way on D-Day.  Use everything you have to keep Satan from gaining a beachhead.  Don’t give him a place.  Don’t give him a spot.  Don’t give him an inch.  Don’t go to the “prevent defense.”

This is probably a good place to take a look at the scouting report of our enemy.  Satan.  Here, the apostle calls him  “the devil” (Gr. diabolos).  The Greek term means slanderer, false accuser and defamer.  It literally means the overthrower, dia- (over or through) -bolos (one who throws).  The devil is an demonic rebel from the inner courts of God’s kingdom.  El Diablo is an ex-angel who became jealous of the worship and praise directed at God.  The prophet Isaiah gives us glimpse of this satanic civil war.  The self-centered Lucifer did everything he could to climb onto God’s throne.  “I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the throne of assembly in the far reaches of the north; I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High” (Is 14:13-14).  As you might imagine, this did not end well for Satan and his toadies.  Yahweh tossed his sorry satanic carcass right out of heaven (Is 14:15-16).  This former angel who earned the nickname of “Day Star, son of Dawn” (Is 14:12) then turned his attention on God’s people.

The devil is a powerful and tricky enemy.  He’s continually trying to stir the pot against us in the heaven (Job 1-2).  Satan often “disguises himself as an angel of light” (2Cor 11:14).  Just as he seduced Eve to pick and eat the forbidden fruit, he seduced King David into calling for a census (1Chron 21:1).  One of his favorite tactics is to throw accusations against Jesus’ followers.  We see in in the OT (Zech 3:1-2) as well as the NT (Rev 12:10).  I must remember that there is NO condemnation or accusation for those who are in Jesus (Rom 8:1)!  The bottom line: Don’t give the devil an inch!  He doesn’t need your help.  Don’t go to the “prevent defense!”

When I get angry and stay angry, I’m basically handing over the keys of the city to the number one enemy of God and His kingdom.  When I stoke the fires of hatred, it’s an invitation to Satan to come on in and make himself at home.  When he does, the  false accusations begin.  When he does, the slander begins.  When he does, the defamation begins.  My sustained anger allows the devil to drive a wedge between me and other followers of Jesus.  And once he gets me alone, now I’m in big trouble.  I become an easy target.  A stray.  A loner.  An easy mark.

Don’t give the devil a foothold.  Don’t give him a first down.  Don’t give him a yard.  Instead, fight him with everything you’ve got!  When you do, he’ll turn tail and beat feet (James 4:7).  Specifically, the best way to defeat the devil is by getting over your anger quickly.  Before the day is over.  

Whatever you do, don’t go to the “prevent defense!”

As always, I would love your thoughts, comments and input.  It's pretty darn easy.  Just post something below!

No comments:

Post a Comment