Thursday, July 23, 2015

Jesus and the Boogie Man

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” (Philippians 4:6).

As a kid, I was afraid of King Kong. And I really only had myself to blame. You see, I begged my parents to take me to see the motion picture classic “King Kong versus Godzilla” down at the Roseland Theater. For some stupid reason, they actually took me. The result was a long lasting fear that a giant ape was just outside my bedroom window. For you, it may have been the Boogie Man. Maybe it was a ghost in the closet. Or the creature hiding under your bed. For me, it was King Kong. Eventually I grew out of being freaked out by oversized gorillas (do you ever REALLY outgrow a fear like that?!?). 

But several decades later, the fear is still there. It’s not a colossal ape anymore. Instead of hiding outside my bedroom window, it’s right around the corner. It lives in later today. It lurks in tomorrow, next week, next month, and next year. Something bad is out there and it’s going to get me. Kong may be massive, but my anxiety has grown to be much scarier and hairier. It now takes the form of terrors like cancer, death of a loved one, job loss, or financial crisis. How about you? What keeps you up at night? What freaks you out and robs you of joy? Let’s be honest. We all deal with the adult Boogie Man of anxiety. 

Well, our man Paul has just the answer in his letter to his friends back in Philippi. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” (v6). You may be saying to yourself, “That’s all well and good for the apostle, but what does he know about the stuff that’s freaking me out?” I’m so glad you asked! The former Pharisee isn’t writing this letter from some seaside resort under a palm tree. He’s in the slammer doing hard time for telling the world about Jesus. And he’s been there about five years. He’s writing to a church that’s been cold cocked by persecution and poverty. If ANYBODY knows how to deal with anxiety and fear, it would be Paul. 

The apostle begins by tell us what NOT to do. “Do not be anxious about anything” (v6). The word here for “anxious” (Gr. merimnao) means to worry or to be overly concerned about something. We’re talking about a fear based based on apprehension about possible danger or misfortune. The term has the idea of dividing our attention and diverting us with anything that’s not a priority. How many times have you obsessed over something when you should have been focusing on something else? 

Anxiety distracts us from what’s really important. There’s an old saying that says Jesus was crucified between two thieves, yesterday and tomorrow. Yesterday’s regrets and tomorrow’s fears rob our joy of today. How can we really enjoy the overflowing abundant life that God has for us today and be fully present when we’re so worried about what’s going to happen tomorrow? Paul tells us to stop being distracted, divided, and diverted by anxiety. Could that be the Boogie Man’s goal all along? To steal the joy of Jesus we have in the present. 

The apostle commands us to stop freaking out about every little thing. Don’t believe me? Read it again. “Do not be anxious about ANYTHING” (v6 emphasis added). Anything? Surely, he can’t be serious. (In my best Leslie Nielson voice, “I am serious. And don’t call me ‘Shirley.’”) What should I worry about? Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Zero. If I’m freaked out about something, obsessed about something, distracted by something, then I’m doing it wrong! 

If you’re not buying what Paul’s selling, check out what Jesus Himself had to say during His most popular sermon (Mt 6:25-34). Three times our Savior says, “Do not be anxious (Gr. merimnao)” (Mt 6:25, 31, 34). Instead of freaking out, He tells us to go bird watching. Because God made you and me in His image, we’re more valuable to Him than any pigeon or peacock. Check out the wildflowers. They’re gorgeous but they’ll only be around a short time. Again, our Heavenly Dad loves you and will make sure you’ve got something to wear. Instead of wasting my time in worry I should “seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness” (Mt 6:33). 

When I worry, two things happen. Two BIG things happen. Two BAD things happen. First of all, I fail to recognize God is the sovereign ruler of the universe. I may say garbage like “Oh, I don’t want to bother the Lord with such trivial stuff.” But that’s His job! Running creation and dealing with problems is His specialty. Second, I put myself in charge when I worry. My anxiety is the result of telling God I’ve got this. This is what we call pride, boys and girls. It’s all part of that age old rebellion against His throne that our first parents perpetrated when they listened to the satanic snake. “You will be like God” (Gen 3:5). When I worry, I’m actually shaking my fist at the Almighty and telling Him I’m in charge now. Just in case you haven’t been paying attention, when you fight against God you lose. Every. Single. Time.

So what’s the answer to worry? Here’s the cool part. Since God has a zero-tolerance policy on anxiety, He invites me to tell Him all about what’s wigging me out. Paul tells us instead, “But in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God” (v6). Instead trying to run the universe all by myself, why not drop it off with the One who created it in the first place? Remember, we’re the folks responsible for jacking up the joint. 

I need to take all of that baggage I’ve been dragging around and drop it off with Somebody that can actually do something about it. And I don’t mean a few of the big bulky items. Not just a couple of the heavy steamer trunks of anxiety. Paul closes every loophole. “In EVERYTHING by prayer” (v6 emphasis added). I don’t get to keep a couple of my favorite worries. Get rid of every last stinking one of them. Got fears? Drop them off with Jesus. Worry? Give them to Christ. Dread? Swing by the throne of God. Don’t let the Boogie Man bully you. Jesus is bigger than the Boogie Man. 

We do this through regular “prayer” (v6). Don’t get the crazy idea that you need to use some goofy God talk in order to pray. No “beseeching” required. No “thou, thy, and thee”  mandatory. Prayer is simply the idea of being in regular conversation with God. Just talk to Him. Be honest. Be respectful. You’re not only talking to the Person who loves you more than anyone else in the universe, He’s also the only One who can really do anything about it. Full disclosure here. My prayer life stinks. And because of that, I tend to get my undies in a bundle over worry. But every time I give it all to my Heavenly Dad, the 800-pound gorilla becomes as harmless as a house fly. 

The apostle makes some important points about prayer. First of all, we’re to use what the ESV calls “supplication” (v6). The original language here (Gr. de’esis) describes a desperate plea or a request for help with a need. John Piper says we should picture a soldier pinned down in a foxhole with the enemy all around. He uses his radio to call in air support or artillery. That’s supplication. Too often we see prayer as the means of calling on God like some sort of divine butler. Instead of a wartime walkie talkie, our prayers are more like ringing a bell for a supernatural servant. We're not in Downton Abbey calling Mr. Carson. That’s NOT supplication. This is war. So when our worry has us pinned down, let’s call in the Big Gun. 

Our worry-busting prayers should drip with “thanksgiving” (v6). We should call on God with attitude of gratitude. Let’s be thankful for all that He’s done for us so far. Remember, God gave His one and only Son as the ultimate act of love (Jn 3:16). Christ actually came to our rescue despite the fact that we were still rebels against His kingdom (Rom 5:8). He did for us what we could never dream of doing for ourselves. Jesus lived the perfect life of obedience to God’s law that we failed to live. He died the death of punishment for our sin that we should have died. He rose to a spectacular new life that we don’t deserve. Let’s be grateful for all He’s done in what folks call “The Great Exchange” (2Cor 5:21). But let’s be thankful IN ADVANCE for how God will respond to our prayer. He knows exactly what to do. He knows exactly how to do it. He knows exactly when to to do it. Instead of worrying about what may go down, we can be grateful for Who’s going to handle it. Remember, Jesus is bigger than the Boogie Man.

Can I make one more suggestion? Don’t keep your prayer requests to yourself. You may have stuff going on you don’t want to share on the wide world web. But find a safe place to share them OUT LOUD. A small group. A pastor. A trusted friend who follows Jesus. There may be a time and place for those so-called “unspoken” prayer requests, but it’s best when we can verbalize what’s scaring the crap out of us. And if there’s one Person with the capacity, care, and confidentiality to handle my mess, it’s God. He’s totally capable. He’s completely compassionate. He’s totally trustworthy. We’re talking about the ultimate phone-a-friend. Unlike anyone else, He’s waiting to pick up. He’s looking forward to your call. 

The next time the King Kong of my own worry is waiting around the corner (and there will be a “next time!”), I have a Hero who will to the rescue. How about you? Freaked out about the ghost in the closet of your career? Spooked by the monster under the bed of your health? Call on the One who’s already defeated death. Remember, Jesus is bigger than the Boogie Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment