Monday, May 27, 2019

Man or God...Who Ya Got?

Paul has just fired his opening salvo of correction at the Galatians (Gal 1:6-9).  He's absolutely stunned how quickly they've ditched the message of Jesus he preached to them and turned to a bogus gospel that's really no Gospel at all.  The apostle twice tells his readers that anyone who perverts the Good News is on the highway to hell.

He then delivers one of the most powerful statements against worrying the opinions of others in the entire Bible.  "For am I now seeking the approval of man or of God?  Or am I still trying to please man?  If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ" (v10).  

Pleasing man.  Or pleasing God.  It's the choice that each one of us faces every moment of every day.  Will we be like the politician that can't take his eyes off the polls?  Or do we seek the applause of the Audience of One?

Man or God...who ya got?

In the context of the letter, Paul is saying that he really doesn't give a rat's rear end if someone is upset about what he taught in Galatia or just wrote.  Distorting the Gospel is a damnable offense.  The truth hurts sometimes.  

The apostle isn't ultimately worried about stepping on toes, but stating truth.  And when dealing with such an extreme situation where the gracious Good News gets twisted, he must put his foot down.  Hard.  Drastic times call for drastic measures.

Three times in this verse, Paul refers to the drive for man's approval.  "Seeking the approval of man."  "Trying to please."  "Trying to please man."  Even I understand that he's trying to get my attention about how to view pleasing others.  

Call it "peer pressure."  Call it "people pleasing."  The Bible actually calls it the "fear of man."  Am I more worried about what others think about me than what God has commanded?

The fear of man shows up in all sorts of ways in our lives.  Are you afraid of confrontation?  Do you worry about what people think of you?  Are you preoccupied with your looks or appearance?  Are you self-conscious?  Are you defensive?  

Do you brag and boast to raise others opinions of yourself?  Are you unwilling to correct or rebuke someone?  Are you afraid to tell others about Jesus?  Are you worried about rejection by others?  Do you want to be famous or well-known?

Sound familiar?  Hitting too close to home?  I've struggled with "fear of man" issues my entire life.  It certainly does for me.  I'm worried about what you think of me right now.  

The laundry list in the previous paragraphs runs through my head just about every moment of every day.  But over the years, God has begun the process of renewing my mind with His Word and setting my focus on the Audience of One.

The writer of Proverbs couldn't be any more blunt.  "The fear of man lays a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is safe" (Prov 29:25).

Man or God...who ya got?

Over and over in Proverbs, we read the blessing associated with a proper view of God.  "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction" (Prov 1:7).

Man or God...who ya got?

Jesus told His disciples, "I tell you, My friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have northing more than they can do.  But I will warn you Whom to fear:  fear Him who, after He has killed, has authority to cast into hell.  Yes, I tell you, fear Him!" (Lk 12:4-5).

Man or God...who ya got?

God used the prophet Isaiah to say, "Fear not the reproach of man, nor be dismayed at their revilings...but My righteousness will be forever" (Is 51:7-8).  "Who are you that you are afraid of man who dies...and have forgotten the LORD, your Maker" (Is 51:12-13).

There's one VERY essential truth behind Paul's "I really don't care what you or anyone else thinks about me" statement.  He understands who he is "in Christ" (for a mind-blowing exposition on this idea, read his letter to the Ephesians where he uses the phrase 13 times!).  

The apostle knows that while he is a sinner, God sees him clothed in the spotless perfection of Jesus.  He realizes that the only way God accepts him is "not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ" (Phil 3:7-11).

Over and over in this letter to the Galatian church network, Paul reminds them of who they are in Jesus.  We "not justified by works of the the law but through faith in Jesus Christ" (Gal 2:15).  "I have been crucified with Christ.  It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me" (Gal 2:20).  "The righteous shall live by faith" (Gal 3:11).

I'm incredibly thankful to my friend Ross Turner for sharing Galatians 1:10 with me as a critical truth for ministry.  To lead worship as a "people pleaser" is a deadly combination.  It's easy to be distracted by attention and approval of others.  I needed to be constantly reminded that "If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ."

But this is an on-going process for me.  I continually have to ask: Man or God...who ya got?

©2012 
Jay Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment