Tuesday, July 23, 2019

It's Not You, It's Me

"Whew!  At least I'm not like THAT guy!!"  

"I might not be perfect, but I'm a whole lot better than she is!!"

Admit it.  You've said something like this.  You've thought this very same thought.  But here in his letter to the Galatians, Paul warns that we're in BIG trouble when we start comparing our good works against those of others.  

Call it righteousness by comparison: It's not you, it's me.  

Pump your brakes, my friend.  Take another look at your walk with Jesus.  Take an honest assessment of your relationship with Christ.

Remember the context of the entire letter.  A group of false teachers called the Judaizers have infiltrated the churches of Galatia and twisted Paul's message of Christ-focused freedom into a self-focused self-salvation project.  

They've convinced the Galatians that we're responsible to keep ourselves saved.  

This counterfeit gospel took their eyes off "Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith" (Heb 12:2) and put them into the mirror on the wall.  The result is Christian narcissism.  

This spiritual naval gazing makes me the focus of my faith.  I become the idol.  The man from Tarsus has already warned us against the emptiness of spiritual conceit (Gal 5:26).

When we think we're all that and a bag of chips, we're fooling ourselves (Gal 6:3).  Paul encourages each of us, "But let each one test his own work" (v4).  

It's okay to check our gauges once in a while to see how we're doing.  We're told to do that before celebrating the Lord's Supper (1Cor 11:28).  

Here in Galatians, the apostle instructs us to take an honest assessment of our lives.  Are we truly pursuing the things that matter?  Are we doing what God has called us to do?  

Are we loving those around us with the love of Jesus?  Are we extending grace?  Are offering mercy?  Are we telling others about the freedom that can only be found in Jesus?

Eugene Peterson really delivers the goods on this phrase.  "Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that.  Don't be impressed with yourself" (Gal 6:3 The Message).  

Am I pulling my weight?  Am I burden to others?  Am I fully devoted to serving Jesus where God has placed me?  If the answer is "yes," that's awesome!  If you are, put the pedal to the metal and press on!

I should have a sober and honest assessment of who I am and where I stand (Rom 12:3).  And I must ALWAYS remember that the standard by which I am compared is not my neighbor but our holy God.  

"You shall be holy, for I am holy" (Lev 11:44; 1Pet 1:16).  Rather than "it's not you, it's me," the idea is "it's not me, it's Him!"

When we believe the lie that we're hot stuff, we continually look down on those around us.  Instead of seeing them with compassion through the eyes of Jesus, we see them with contempt.  

Or as Peterson writes, "Don't be impressed with yourself.  Don't compare yourself with others" (Gal 6:4 The Message).

That's exactly the warning Jesus gives His boys in the illustration of the Pharisee and the tax collector (Lk 18:9-14).  

The self-righteous Pharisee prays a self-centered prayer of righteousness by comparison.  "God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector" (Lk 18:11).  

Compared to these other losers, he thinks he's a spiritual superstar.  

But Jesus describes the broken and repentant heart of the tax collector, a guy who couldn't even face his holy God.  "God, be merciful to me, a sinner!" (Lk 18:13).  

The tax collector knew where he stood compared to the perfect righteousness and holiness of God.  He was a sinner. 

Stop comparing your so-called "good works" to those of others.  Don't forget that our best effort on our best day is nothing more than the most disgusting rags in the eyes of our holy God.  

Stop looking down on "extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even this tax collector."  There is only One who is perfect.  There is only One who is sinless.  His name is Jesus.

Instead of "it's not about you, it's me."  We need to remember, it's not about me, it's Him!

©2012
Jay Jennings

No comments:

Post a Comment