Friday, October 17, 2014

Bullets and Blah, Blah, Blah

“and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us” (Titus 2:8)

Confession time. I talk too much. I’ve ALWAYS talked too much. Sure, I’m a social creature and a people person. I love hanging out and chatting it up. But the dark side of all this is that my lips are constantly flapping. Blah, blah, blah. Some of the stuff that comes out of my mouth is decent. Some of it builds up. Some of it encourages. Some of it is healthy. How I wish it all was! An unhealthy percentage of my words is just that, unhealthy. And by doing so, I hand folks the rocks to throw back at me. Blah, blah, blah.

In his letter to Titus, Paul gives his go-to guy some personal instructions when it comes to his own life. First, he tells the Big T to teach doctrine that is strong and healthy (Titus 2:1). Here he tells him HOW to teach (Titus 2:7-8). Live what you teach. Live with integrity. Live with dignity. And keep a handle on what you say. Use “sound speech that cannot be condemned, so than an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us” (v8). By getting a grip on my big yapper, I put a lid the damage that can be done. 

The apostle uses the phrase “sound speech” (v8). A closer look at the original text shows us a Greek word (Gr. hugies) that is very closely related to “sound” (Gr. hugiaino) used in the previous verses (Titus 1:9, 13, 2:1, 2). It describes something that’s healthy, hearty, and whole. Think ripped and robust. Every other use of this term in the New Testament has to do with health and wellness. When Jesus heals the disabled dude at the Bethesda pool, He sends him on his way by saying, “See, you are well (Gr. hugies)! Sin no more, that nothing worse may happen to you” (Jn 5:14). Do you remember the time that the religious police got hot and bothered at Christ for healing instead of going to church? The Lord put them in their place by telling them, “Are you angry with Me because on the Sabbath I made a man’s whole body well (Gr. hugies)” (Jn 7:23). And how about the time those same religious bullies tried to intimidate Peter and John for using the power of God to heal. The dynamic duo let the Sanhedrin know that it is “by Him this man is standing before you well (Gr. hugies)” (Acts 4:10).

Are my words healthy? Are they whole? Or are they sick? Weak? Do they build up? Or do they tear down? Here in the 21st century, there’s something that Paul and Titus didn’t have to worry about. That’s the interweb. They weren’t constantly updating their Facebook status. They weren’t posting tweets every chance they got. They weren’t always uploading to Instagram. I’m not saying that social media is some demonic, dark world to avoid. But I am saying to be careful. VERY careful. King Solomon may not have  been on Vine or Pinterest, but he certainly was right when he warned his son about talking too much. “When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent” (Prov 10:19). The same came be said about stuff posted on the web. Whoever restrains his keyboard is just as prudent.

When I’m smart and economical with my words, I “cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us” (v8). How many times do you see a politician regretting what he or she had to say when their opponent throws it back in their face in a commercial? And we’ve all heard the stories of our enemies killing and wounding our soldiers with weapons made in the good ol’ U.S. of A. It’s the same with our words. Think of your speech as ammo. Be very careful with it. Don’t let it be used against us. All of my blah-blah-blah is potentially lethal. Paul makes it clear to Titus that he’s not just in danger of self-inflicted wounds. Our words can be used to hurt others around us. 

Don’t give the enemy any bullets. Don’t hand them the rocks to throw back at us. They will still try to talk trash about you, but they it will just be a bunch of hot air. They’ll “be put to shame” (v8). Guess I need to keep my trap shut and limit the blah, blah, blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment